The vibrant red colour of these wraps makes them both nutritionally and visually beneficial, however, carrot or spinach juice would also be a great substitute.
Buckwheat flour is superbly nutritious and is actually completely gluten-free despite what its name implies. If you can’t find buckwheat flour then you can substitute with gram/chickpea/garbanzo flour. These wraps can be frozen and defrosted in just a few minutes for quick and simple weekday meals.
Buckwheat Beetroot Wraps
Makes 12 Crêpe-like Wraps
:: Ingredients ::
To Make The Wraps
- 240ml (81⁄4fl oz./generous 1 cup) beetroot (beet) juice
- 2 eggs
- 175g (6oz/11⁄3 cups) buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 90ml (3fl oz./1⁄3 cup) water, to thin a little
- coconut oil, for frying
For The Filling
- Hummus and filling ingredients of your choice
- roasted sweet potato wedges
- rocket (arugula)
- mixed seeds
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Put the beetroot juice and eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
- Now add the buckwheat flour, cumin and salt and whisk together, slowly adding the water and olive oil until the mixture is smooth. Allow the mixture to stand for about 15 minutes at room temperature to thicken slightly.
- To cook the wraps, heat a thin crêpe pan or frying pan over a medium–high heat and rub a little coconut oil over the pan.
- Pour about 60ml (2fl oz/ 1⁄4 cup) of the batter into the pan and swirl the pan around to create a thin crêpe.
- Cook for 1–2 minutes until bubbles gradually pop over the surface of the crêpe and it loses its glossy look. Flip the crêpe using a spatula and cook for a further 30 seconds before removing from the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining batter using a little coconut oil each time.
- Place each cooked crêpe on top of each other (depending on your pan, thesubsequent crêpes will require much less time to cook than the first one as the pan heats up).
- To fill, take a cooked crêpe and spread hummus over the inside surface (the side you cooked second), then add the filling ingredients of your choice. Either roll the wrap into a tight roll or simple fold it in half and enjoy.
Other Articles You May Be Interested In
CROWN CHAKRA / Sahaswara The Great White Light Overview Location: Crown of the head Colour: White/ pearlescent or violet ...
THIRD-EYE CHAKRA / Ajna The all-seeing intuition Overview Location: Forehead, between the eyebrows. Colour: Indigo Sense: Mind ...