With so many people choosing to remove sugar from their diet, I for one hope the joy of baking a gorgeous cake isn’t lost and left for the memories of our grandmothers. Luckily, I’ve come up with these three amazing cake recipes for when you want to get your refined sugar-free bake on.
I am not exaggerating when I say this is a truly decadent, wonderfully gooey chocolate cake!
Makes one large 26cm (10in) cake
:: Ingredients ::
- 600ml (20fl oz/21⁄2 cups) raw honey or normal honey is fine too
- 600g (1lb/5oz) cooked beetroot (beets), puréed in a blender or food processor
- 6 eggs
- 300ml (10fl oz/11⁄4 cups) extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 vanilla pod (bean), seeds scraped out or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 160g (51⁄2oz/11⁄3 cups) raw cacao powder
- 400g (14oz/3 cups) buckwheat flour
- 4 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 2 pears, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/400°F/ Gas 6. Grease a 26cm (10in) spring-form cake tin (pan), lined with baking paper (parchment paper).
- Combine the honey, beetroot purée, eggs, olive oil and vanilla seeds in a large bowl and whisk vigorously to mix the eggs well. Add all the dry ingredients and mix well until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the spring-form baking tin. Place the pear slices around the edges of the cake and bake for 50–60 minutes or until the middle has risen but still feels a little gooey. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- When the cake is cool, remove it from its tin and enjoy!
CHRISTMAS GINGERBREAD :: Ingredients :: 250g organic grass-fed butter 220g dark brown sugar 1 organic egg ...
More nutrient-dense than usual cakes, without compromising on flavour; I see little point in reducing the sugar and fat in a recipe only to come...