Root vegetables used in baking bring elements of both savoury and sweet to a recipe. Adding moisture and a binding texture, pureed root vegetables is the solution for healthy baking recipes. Why not start experimenting!
:: Ingredients ::
- 90g (31⁄4oz/scant 1 cup) ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 35g (11⁄4oz/1⁄4 cup) buckwheat flour pinch of sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 180g/6oz/3⁄4 cup) boiled or steamed pureed sweet potato
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 30g (1oz/1⁄4 cup) walnuts, roughly chopped, plus extra to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/400°F/ Gas 6. Line a large baking tray (baking sheet) with baking paper (parchment paper).
- Whisk together the ground almonds, baking powder, buckwheat flour, sea salt and spices in a medium-mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg, sweet potato puree, vanilla extract and maple syrup, until it is a smooth paste.
- Add the sweet potato mix to the dry ingredients and add the chopped walnuts once incorporated.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop mixture onto the prepared baking tray and sprinkle extra chopped walnuts onto each scone (biscuit).
- Bake in the oven for 15–18 minutes until risen, golden and the bases sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking tray. Store in an airtight container.
Other Articles You May Be Interested In
CROWN CHAKRA / Sahaswara The Great White Light Overview Location: Crown of the head Colour: White/ pearlescent or violet ...
THIRD-EYE CHAKRA / Ajna The all-seeing intuition Overview Location: Forehead, between the eyebrows. Colour: Indigo Sense: Mind ...