CROWN CHAKRA / Sahaswara
The Great White Light
- Location: Crown of the head
- Colour: White/ pearlescent or violet
- Sense: Thought
- Element: Beyond elements or thoughts
- Body parts: Central nervous system, cerebral cortex and pineal gland
The seventh chakra is located at the crown of the head. Sahaswara is our source of enlightenment and spiritual connection to all that is. It is a connection to our higher selves, to every being on the planet, and ultimately the divine energy that creates everything in the universe.
The crown chakra is the penultimate state where all is pure, simple and intentional. The prime activity of the seventh chakra is to derive meaning; this is where the element of thought is witnessed. To arrive at the fully blooming lotus, known in Sanskrit as Sahaswara our stem needs to be connected all the way to the earth, with our roots firmly in the ground.
Through this connection to all other elements and the earth, we as conscious human beings are able to nourish and bloom, continue to ever expand yet stay connected to where we have come from.
Highly spiritual, the crown chakra is about self-realisation and the connection of the world around us. It focuses on seeking wisdom and understanding.
There is no intellectual knowing at the level of seventh chakra, but there is serenity, joy, and deep peace about life.
You have a sense of knowing that there is a deeper meaning of life and that there is an order that underlies all of existence.
The "way of the crown chakra" is the way of going beyond the limits of your own ego. It is the way of transcending the ego and knowing that all of creation is interconnected at a fundamental level.
A person with an open and balanced crown chakra has deep empathy for others as well as a deep connection to the Divine. You are aware of your Divine purpose, your reason for incarnating here in this body in the first place. You live with great clarity and meaning and you feel unconditional love for life – which you easily share and express. Prayer and mindfulness are second nature, spiritual insight comes easily, and you always have a sense that you are being watched over. You are grateful for this universal love and the gratitude radiates from within.
When this chakra is blocked, it can manifest in the form of constant headaches, lack of purpose, excess worry, nightmares, disconnection from a previously felt higher power, and depression. You might experience fatigue, mental fog, boredom, and frustration. Greediness is second nature, as is materialism, elitism, entitlement, and loneliness. You might feel angry and even abandoned.
When choosing foods for this chakra you should focus more on fasting and detoxing rather than the kinds of foods used to build and maintain our body’s strength and stamina.
- White foods: fennel, pear, cauliflower and coconut.
- Light, very easy to digest food: sprouts, grapefruit, lemon and pomelo.
- Mostly liquids – teas, juices, broths and ice lollies.
- Detoxifying foods.
- Small portions.
- Avoidance of dense, heavy foods.
This exercise is simple but incredibly powerful because it helps you notice and appreciate seemingly simple elements of your environment in a more profound way. The exercise is designed to connect us with the beauty of the natural environment, something that is easily missed when we are rushing around in the car or hopping on and off trains on the way to work.
- Choose a natural object from within your immediate environment and focus on watching it for a minute or two. This could be a flower or an insect, or even the clouds or the moon.
- Don’t do anything except notice the thing you are looking at. Simply relax into watching for as long as your concentration allows.
- Look at this object as if you are seeing it for the first time. Visually explore every aspect of its formation, and allow yourself to be consumed by its presence.
- Allow yourself to connect with its energy and its purpose within the natural world.
‘I see beyond my limiting beliefs and accept my human experience fully.’
Other Articles You May Be Interested In
THIRD-EYE CHAKRA / Ajna The all-seeing intuition Overview Location: Forehead, between the eyebrows. Colour: Indigo Sense: Mind ...